One pot meals always make my cooking job more easier.I prefer it when compared to elaborate meals for lunch.Almost all weekdays I end up at cooking some one pot meal.But I see to it that the meal that I cook makes a complete meal with all nutritions in it.In this lane Sambhar Sadham/Rice is my family's most favourite one pot meal.
Cook this one pot meal which tastes similar to Hotel Saravana Bhavan ...
For the recipe click READ MORE below..
Recipe Source:Sharmis Passions
1 Cup of raw rice(If u use basmathi rice reduce water quantity n cooking time)
1/2 cup of thoor/thuvar Dhal
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric powder
2 Tbsp of Sambhar powder(I used MTR brand sambhar powder)
Lemon Sized tamarind
5.5 Cups of water(2 cups of tamarind water+3 Cups of water)(DONT REDUCE THE WATER QUANTITY)(Basmathi rice requires 2 cups of tamarind water and 1 cup of water)
10-12 nos. of small onions/Shallots
2 Nos of Big tomatoes (of medium sourness)
1-2 nos. of carrot chopped
1 potato chopped
1/2 a drumstick
2 nos of brinjal chopped
3-4 nos. of Beans
Handful of Peas
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp of fenugreek seeds
A pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
Few Curry leaves
1-2 Tbsp of ghee
Chopped coriander leaves
Chopped raw onions
Wash and soak rice and dhal together for 15 minutes.After 15 minutes drain off the water and keep it aside
Also soak tamarind too.Make around 2 cups of tamarind water(around 500 ml of water)
Chop the vegetables and keep it aside.Peel off the skin from the shallots/small onions.Slice it into half.If u are using big onions then chop it finely.
In a pressure pan (See to it that u take a big pressure pan as u are going to add 5.5 cups of water!!)add a tsp of oil and heat it.
Then add Mustard seeds,curry leaves and hing(asafoetida)
Then add fenugreek seeds and saute it.See to it that the fenugreek don't turn black.
Then add shallots and saute it.
Add chopped tomatoes and saute it for some time.
Then add chopped vegetables
(carrot,peas,Beans,potatoes,cauliflower,drumstick,brinjal)and saute it.
Then add turmeric powder,sambar powder and saute it.
Then add the rice and dhal(lentils) mixture.Mix it well.
To it add tamarind water(lemon sized tamarind nicely squeezed in 2 cups of water-around 500 ml),salt,3.5 cups of water and mix well.
Pressure cook it well for 3-4 whistles.
Garnish it with roasted cashewnuts and chopped coriander leaves(I didn't use it)
Serve it hot with appalam
- If u want the dish too be little watery then increase the amount of water.
- The dish becomes thick on cooling.So adjust the water level accordingly.
- Altogether u are adding 5.5 cups of water for this dish(3.5 cups of water+2 Cups of tamarind water).
- If u add 5.5 cups of water u will end up in a mushy consistency.If u con't want it mushy then add just 5 cups of water.
- If u don't have sambhar powder then add chilli powder and coriander powder in the ratio of 1:2
- The vegetables can be varied according to ur taste.Drumstick and brinjal imparts an exotic taste to the dish.
- Raw finely chopped onions can also be used for garnishing.
- If u are using drumstick don't cut it into very small size.make it little big.
- Use tomatoes which are not very sour.
- Instead of rice u can use millets-varagu Arisi too.while using so reduce 1 cup of water.
- If u are using basmathi rice reduce 1.5 cups of water.So u need to add only 4 cups of water including the tamarind water