After knowing the health benefits of millets I try to replace it for rice in my meal.After the positive results of Millets dosa I tried millets pongal too.The taste didn't differ and unless u tell one cannot make out it is millets pongal.It also resembles same as that of the normal ven pongal.
Considering the health benefits I had used minimum amount of oil and had avoided the use of ghee.
For the recipe please click READ MORE below..
1 Cup of Thinai/Samai/Quinoa/Fox tail millet/Kodo millet/little millet/Barnyard millet
1/3 Cup of Moong Dhal/pasi Paruppu
3 and 1/2 cups of water
1 Tsp of Grated ginger
1 Tbsp of oil/Ghee
1 Tbsp of Dry black pepper corns
1 Tsp of Coarsely crushed pepper(Optional)
1 Tsp of Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 Tbsp of Cashewnuts
Few Curry leaves
A pinch of Asafoetida
Dry roast the dal(pasi paruppu/Moong dhal) in a kadai.
Then add it to the millet(clean it before soaking) and soak the mixture for 10 minutes.
After soaking it for 10 minutes drain off the water.
In a pressure cooker add the millets and dhal mixture.
Add 3 and 1/2 cups of water,grated ginger,salt and pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles.
After opening the pressure cooker lid the mixture appears little watery but when u mix it it becomes hard.
Mix the mixture well.
Heat ghee/oil in a kadai and fry the cashewnuts.Keep it aside
In the same kadai add some oil,if necessary and add whole dry black pepper,Jeera/Cumin seeds,Asafoetida,curry leaves .
If u want more spicyness then add coarsely crushed pepper and mix it well.
Add the roasted cashews,mix well and serve .
- U can add 2 Tbsp of ghee to make the pongal to have more flavour
- My kids throw away the pepper when they eat pongal.So I always add coarsely crushed pepper to pongal.
- After cooking the mixture remains little watery..but it will set right after some time.
- U can add 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric powder if u like the yellow colour for pongal.
- The mixture turns little thick after cooking.So adjust the water accordingly.
- I had used thinai for cooking.U can add samai/kuthirai vali arisi/Varagu Arisi too.