I always love to cook one pot meal as they are very easy to make and gets finished in a jiffy.In that lane all my family members love the homemade biryani as they taste very yummy than the hotel biryani.We had almost stopped having biryani at restaurants..
We can vary the homemade biryani according to our taste and can add more healthy versions into it...At restaurants, to improve the taste they add taste enhancer and Dalda which are not good for health..
So make biryani at home and enjoy sunday with this veg biryani..
For the recipe please click READ MORE below..
1 Cup of Raw rice/Basmathi rice/Seeraga Samba rice(approximately 200gms of rice)
2 cups of hot water(for raw rice)
1/2 cup of all assorted vegetables(Peas,carrot,potatoes,beans)
1 no. of big onion sliced very thinly
1 no. of medium sized tomato chopped finely
Handful of Mint leaves
1 Tbsp of thick curd
1 Tsp of lemon juice
1 Tbsp of ginger garlic paste
1 Tsbp of chilli powder
1/2 Tbsp of cumin powder
Salt to taste
1-2 Nos. of slit green chillies
2 Tbsp of oil
3 nos. of cloves
2 nos of cardamom
1 inch cinnamon
2 nos. of bay leaves
Chop potatoes,carrot,beans into small pieces or in whatever size u wish.
In a sauce pan heat a tbsp of oil.
Fry the onions till they become translucent or turn pink
Add green chillies(Slit it and add or else it will burst) and saute it.
Then add ginger garlic paste and saute it.
Add fresh mint leaves and saute it
Add chopped tomatoes and saute it till it gets mashed well.
Then add chopped vegetables and saute it.
Add chilli powder,cumin powder and saute it
Add curd and mix well.
Saute the mixture nicely till there the gravy turns little thick and all water gets evaporated.
Switch off the flame and keep this mixture aside.
In a pressure cooker add a tbsp of oil.
Add cinnamon,cardamom,clove and bay leaves.
Then add rice and saute it well.
Add lemon juice and mix well.
Then add the vegetable mixture that we had saute earlier.
Mix it with the rice nicely
Add hot water to the rice mixture and add the required amount of salt.
For Basmathi rice: For 1 cup rice 1.5 cups of water(rice presoaked for 20 minutes and then drained)
For Raw rice: For 1 cup rice 2 cups(rice soaked for 1/2 an hour and drain the water)
For Seeraga Samba rice: For 1 Cup of rice 1.5 cup of water(rice soaked for 20 minutes and drain the water)I used raw rice.
Close the lid of the cooker and cook it in high flame.
When the vapour starts getting out through the nozzle,put the weight of the pressure cooker.Then reduce the flame to low flame and cook it for 1-2 whistles.
Switch off the flame and leave the cooker aside.
When the pressure cooker gets released the pressure completely take out the lid
Mix the rice well.
Garnish it with fried onions and fried cashewnuts.
Serve it hot with onion raita and chips
- U can add cauliflower,turnip too in the vegetable list. Don't add beetroot it will change the whole biryani colour.
- Adding lemon juice will make the rice grains from getting stuck with the each other.
- U can use raw rice,basmathi rice or seeraga samba rice.
Rice:water quantity for the varieties
- Using 2 pans(sauce pan and pressure cooker) avoids the browning/blackening of the dish that is in the base.
- U can also use a mixture of coriander and chilli powder.
- Fry the onions nicely .It gives an exotic aroma to the dish.
- Chopped coriander can also be added while adding mint.
- Don't release the pressure by using a ladle on compulsion.It will make the rice more watery.
- If u want to open the cooker soon, then try sprinkling few drops of water on the lid of the cooker.
- Soak the rice for atleast 10 minutes.This gives a nice texture for the cooked rice grains.
- When u saute the vegetable see to it that water gets evaporated fully and no water content is there when it is added to the rice